This workshop has already been published as a course!
Testing Practices and Principles
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Learn the fundamentals behind tests and testing frameworks
- Learn the distinctions of different forms of testing
- Learn how to write Unit tests
- Learn how to write Integration tests
- Learn when and how to mock dependencies
- Learn how to use test driven development to write new features
- Learn how to use test driven development to find and fix bugs
- Learn core principles of testing to ensure your tests give you the confidence you need
Your (Awesome) Instructor
The goal of a test is to increase your confidence that the subject of your test is functioning the way it should be. Not all tests provide the same level of confidence--and some provide very little confidence at all! If you’re not doing things correctly, you could be wasting your time and giving yourself a false sense of security—even worse than having no tests at all.
We've already held over 300 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 10:00AMFundamentals of Automated Testing
- 10:30AMIntroduction to Jest
- 11:00AMDifferent Forms of Tests
- 11:30AMWriting a Unit Test for an Existing Feature
- 1:30PMDeveloping a New Feature with Test Driven Development
- 2:30PMWriting a Basic Integration Test for an Existing Feature
- 3:15PMWriting Advanced Integration Tests
- 4:15PMUsing Test Driven Development to Find and Fix a Bug for Good
- 5:00PMWrap Up
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
Developers experienced in shipping applications to production.
- Familiarity with the command line
- Experience with Node and npm
- Experience with testing frameworks is a plus but not required
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
April 18, 2018 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Daylight Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN