This workshop has already been published as a course!
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Discover how traditional web development practices have lead to projects that are harder to maintain
- Discover how and why to categorize the CSS we write
- Discover how to identify what to modularize within a design
- Discover how to use preprocessors when modularizing CSS
- Discover what tools can help us improve our CSS workflow
Your (Awesome) Instructor
Spend a Full Day Immersed With A Leading CSS Architecture Master
Have you ever added !important just to get something to style properly? Have you found yourself adding more properties to override properties you already set elsewhere in your CSS? Does inspecting an element in the browser reveal a long stream of styles being applied, overridden, and reapplied? Does your CSS file go on for days and everybody on the team just tacks things onto the bottom? Do you use a preprocessor but still end up with a sprawling system spitting out convoluted CSS? Join CSS architecture expert Jonathan Snook as he shares his experience building large sites with large teams and gives you the skills you need to make your CSS more maintainable.
We'll start off with an overview of SMACSS including categorization and naming convention—things that might seem simple at first but can actually be quite difficult. Next, we'll go deeper with a number of concepts and examples that help demonstrate the usefulness of SMACSS such as when to create class rules instead of element rules, how to limit depth of applicability, and how to manage visual states.
- 8:30AMTech Check and Hello
- 9:00AMIntro to SMACSS, Categorization, and Naming Convention
- 10:45AMBase, Depth of Applicability, States
- 1:30PMProject Structure
- 4:00PMFurther Reading and Wrap-up
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
This workshop is for web developers and designers who are starting to or have been working on increasingly larger projects or with growing teams.
- You should understand basic to intermediate HTML and CSS for this workshop
- You will need to know a selector from a property and have a general understanding of CSS-based layouts
- You don't need to have played with the latest and greatest CSS3
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
November 14, 2014 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central US Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN