RSVP to Attend Online
Join in Person
You're Registered to Attend Online!
This Workshop's Online Chatroom is Currently Open!
This workshop has ended. Check back soon for the recording!
You can watch a replay of this workshop!
HTML Semantics & CSS Selectors
By participating along with us in the workshop, you'll learn:
- Learn about combinator and attribute selectors.
- Create selectors leveraging pseudoclasses and pseudoelements.
- Understand inheritance and how to leverage it in styling your document.
- Describe the cascade, detailing the five rules in determining styling.
- Leveraging selectors, inheritance, and the cascade, create web pages with fewer classes and more succinct and meaningful HTML.
Spend A Full Day Immersed in HTML Semantics & CSS Selectors with Jen Kramer
HTML is the bridge between content and code. The big "C" in CSS stands for the cascade. Unfortunately, little time is spent learning what either of these concepts mean or their impact on your code. In this course, learn to leverage semantic HTML, selectors, inheritance, and the cascade, to create web pages with leaner code and more efficient styling.
We've already held over 300 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 9:30AMHTML and CSS for HTML and CSS Haters (introduction)
- 10:00AMOrdered and unordered list magic
- 10:15AMSelector review: Elements, classes, IDs, groups, descendents, parent-child, adjacent/general siblings, attributes.
- 11:00AMAdvanced lists: "Child" and "of-type" pseudoclasses, ::marker pseudoelement
- 11:30AMMenus: links vs buttons and styling them
- 12:00PMLunch and list exercise
- 12:45PMParts is Parts of the Web Page: reviewing content sectioning and its importance
- 1:45PMContent sectioning and layout exercise
- 4:30PMChallenge - Designing without classes
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
Starting your web development journey? Or you've done this for a while, but you just hate CSS because it never makes sense to you? Jen Kramer specializes in explaining *why* something works, not just *how* to do it.
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS required. If you have the background from the Frontend Masters Bootcamp, that will be enough to get you going with this workshop.
2 Full Day Workshop Sessions
Replay Videos (available immediately)
June 21 to 22, 2022 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Daylight Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN