This workshop has already been published as a course!
Responsive HTML Email Design
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Discover why HTML email is an important tool for connecting with users
- Discover the differences between designing and developing for the web vs email
- Discover CSS resets for HTML email campaigns
- Discover how to build bulletproof buttons with HTML and CSS
- Discover the basics of responsive email design with media queries and fluid elements
- Rekindle a love for table-based design and inline styles (seriously).
Spend a Full Day Immersed With Two Leading HTML Email Design Masters
Email is one of the most important tools for connecting with people on the web. But, most web designers ridicule HTML email as outdated, difficult, and not worth the trouble. Join email advocates Justine Jordan and Jason Rodriguez as they explain the importance of HTML email and prove that building beautiful, responsive email campaigns isn't as scary as you thought.
We'll begin by looking at why HTML email is important in fostering relationships with subscribers and reflecting on the advantages of HTML email over plain text emails. We'll also look at how email has changed over the past few years as more audiences are moving to mobile, and discuss the challenges and opportunities of mobile-friendly campaigns. Next, we’ll learn about the unique needs of email, providing contrast to familiar web design techniques, tools, and traditions. From there, we’ll start building HTML email campaigns from the ground up by revisiting table-based design and using inline styles to lay a solid foundation for our design. We’ll also look at how we can use some basic principles and CSS resets to ensure that our campaigns render well in a variety of email programs and apps. Once we have the basics down, we’ll dive into a few approaches to building bulletproof buttons with HTML, CSS, and a little VML (we’re looking at you, Outlook) Finally, we’ll wrap up by looking at how we can use fluid tables, fluid images, and basic media queries to build responsive emails that look great across most devices and email clients
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
HTML Email Design is geared towards web designers and developers that have a strong background in HTML and CSS, but don't know how to apply those skills to the world of email design.
- Experience with writing HTML and CSS is recommended. We'll work on building a complete HTML email from scratch over the course of the session. Some familiarity with responsive web design is recommended, as we'll turn a mostly static email into a fluid, responsive campaign towards the end of the workshop.
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
December 12, 2014 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Standard Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN