This workshop has already been published as a course!
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Discover how to make decision as to which framework you want to start using, using no specific bias, for your upcoming projects.
- Discover AngularJS. You'll learn about Angular's approach to the MV* and the power behind directives, filters, and services.
- Discover EmberJS. You'll learn about EmberJS, its opinionated take on the MV*, computed properties, Handlebars, and other cool nuances.
- Discover BackboneJS. You'll learn about the minimalistic approach Backbone has taken to the MV* and how they can configure it to do exactly with it. In addition, we'll go over some of the ecosystem surround BackboneJS.
- Discover ReactJS. Specifically we will go over how React and Backbone can play together nicely. We'll take an already made app, rip out the Backbone views and throw in some React views.
Your (Awesome) Instructor
How you'll spend the day: We'll lead off by discussing why MV* have come about and why they've caught on like wildfire in the JS community. For those not familiar with the MV* paradigm, we'll have a brief discussion of what separation of concerns means and why this abstraction is useful. As someone who has to make a decision for a company about which framework to use, Brian knows how hard it is to feel like you're making an informed decision. In the end, he didn't make an informed decision and ended up making it based on arbitrary criteria. This workshop is deliberately made so that others do not have to make this decision as Brian did.
- 8:30AMTech Check and Hello
- 9:30AMBuild an app in AngularJS
- 10:30AMDeep dive into AngularJS's cool features
- 11:00AMBuild an app in EmberJS and Handlebars
- 12:00PMLunch and discussing the differences between Ember and Angular
- 1:00PMDeep dive into EmberJS's cool features
- 1:30PMBuild an app in BackboneJS
- 2:30PMDiscuss the ecosystem around Backbone like Marionette, Thorax, and Chaplain
- 3:00PMReplace the view in the Backbone app with React views
- 4:00PMWrap-up, and final overview comparison
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
June 13, 2014 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Daylight Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN