This workshop has already been published as a course!
Hard Parts: Functional Programming
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Write clean and readable declarative code with higher order functions, callbacks and arrow functions
- Understand reduce, reducers and pure functions to better understand React and Redux
- Understand closure under-the-hood to make functions to implement the decorator pattern and make your functions more reusable through partial application and currying
- Use functions as units to write more expressive code and build out your applications through function composition and point-free style
Your (Awesome) Instructor
In the Hard Parts workshops you balance developing ‘under-the-hood' mental models of how the challenging concept works with diving into coding challenges – giving you the capacity to effortlessly navigate through any new problems.
To do so we will understand the core techniques for creating versatile and reusable functions callbacks, higher order functions and closure.
We then take these principles to enable a deeper understanding of core functional programming techniques including function composition and decoration, partial application, functors and point-free style.
We've already held over 150 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 9:00AMWelcome and Introductions
- 9:30AMPart 1 – Principles of functions & functional programming
- 10:00AMPart 2 – Higher order functions (reduce and reducers)
- 11:30AMPart 3 - Arrow functions and anonymous functions
- 1:00PMPart 4 – Closure and augmenting functions with persistent state
- 2:30PMPart 5 – Function composition
- 3:30PMPart 6 - Partial application & currying
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
The Hard Parts series is designed to build an understanding of complex concepts from first principles to benefit both newer and more experienced developers.
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
July 31, 2019 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central US Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN