RSVP to Attend Online
You're Registered to Attend Online!
This Workshop's Online Chatroom is Currently Open!
This workshop has ended. Check back soon for the recording!
You can watch a replay of this workshop!
Introduction to Gatsby, v2
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Learn how to leverage free, open source tools including Gatsby, React, and GraphQL to build high-performance websites.
- Deliver an excellent experience to your users by providing only critical assets on load and prefetching assets for subsequent page loads.
- Implement performance best practices, such as the PRPL pattern, lazy loading assets, and more.
- Learn to build and deploy blazing fast websites in the fraction of time.
- Create websites quickly with performance baked in.
- Deploy your sites for free in minutes with Netlify.
Your (Awesome) Instructor
Spend A Full Day Immersed in Gatsby with Jason Lengstorf
In this workshop, learn to build blazing fast apps and websites with React using Gatsby, a static PWA (Progressive Web App) generator. Over 50% of people will abandon a mobile site if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. Unless you’re willing to give up half of your potential customers, performance is no longer optional on the modern web. Fortunately, there are a lot of tools available to help you build screaming fast websites. Unfortunately, there’s a frighteningly large number of performance considerations, and many of them are easy to get wrong.
We've already held over 300 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 9:45AMInstall the Gatsby CLI, create a site using the `hello-world` starter, and start the dev server
- 10:00AMEdit the index page, see live updates, add a second page, and add links between pages
- 10:30AMInstall Emotion for styling, create global styles, and create a global layout component
- 11:00AMIntroduce GraphQL by adding SEO metadata to the site config
- 11:30AMUse a StaticQuery to build an SEO component for the site
- 1:00PMAdd an image to the page, automatically optimize it, and implement lazy loading with gatsby-image
- 1:30PMCreate a blog using Markdown
- 2:00PMAdd the Remark transformer to convert Markdown to HTML
- 2:30PMAdd images to our Markdown and convert it to optimized images
- 3:00PMAdd content from a third-party source plugin
- 4:00PMDeploy the site to Netlify
- 4:30PMWrap Up and Q&A
Interact with the Instructor
Is This Workshop for Me?
This workshop is for developers who build websites or apps for their companies or clients and need those websites to be extremely fast.
- Installations of Node 6+, Git, amd either npm or Yarn.
- Some familiariy with command line, GraphQL, Node.js.
- Attendees will also need permission to install Node packages globally on their computer (i.e., not a locked down company computer).
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
August 11, 2021 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Daylight Time
Attend online on our full HD live stream