RSVP to Attend Online
Join in Person
You're Registered to Attend Online!
This Workshop's Online Chatroom is Currently Open!
This workshop has ended. Check back soon for the recording!
You can watch a replay of this workshop!
Some Key Takeaways!
By participating along with us in the workshop, you'll learn:
- Learn to construct programs from pure, “input in-output out” functions through which data flows
- Learn to use higher-order functions like map & filter instead of iterative loops, and closures instead of objects & classes
- Learn to avoid mutation (changing things in-place), and use immutable data structures for efficiency
Your (Awesome) Instructor
You may have found yourself hearing more and more about this trendy topic of 'functional programming', from a bunch of excited coders enthusiastically gushing about how it helps them write elegant, modular code that's easier to test, debug, and reason about. If you're like me, you may have started asking questions like, "What is functional programming anyway, and why are people so excited about it?" "What does functional code look like? How is it different from imperative or OO code?" and "What tools do I need to write functional programs? Do I have to learn Haskell? (spoiler alert: no!)"
If you too have been asking yourself questions like these, you're in the right place! If you're a functional programming pro or have zero interest in learning a new paradigm, then this probably isn't the workshop for you.
We've already held over 300 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 9:30AMIntro & icebreakers
- 10:00AMFunctional Programming in a nutshell
- 11:00AMStaying out of the loop with Recursion
- 11:30AMFlying first-class with higher-order functions
- 1:00PMGetting Closure
- 1:45PMFOOP demo & discussion
- 2:15PMIt's functions all the way down
- 3:00PMImmutability and you
- 3:30PMRecap & takeaways
- 9:30AMDay 2 TBA
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
If you've been wondering about functional programming, you're in the right place! If you're a functional programming pro or have zero interest in learning a new paradigm, then this probably isn't the workshop for you.
2 Full Day Workshop Sessions
Replay Videos (available immediately)
September 25 to 26, 2023 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Daylight Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN