This workshop has already been published as a course!
Functional to Asynchronous Programming
By participating along with us in the workshop, you'll learn:
- Discover practical functional programming in JS (not academic mumbo jumbo)
- Discover closure, pure (side-effect free) functions, immutable (unchangeable) data, and list-processing tools like map, reduce, and filter
- Discover asynchronous programming from the ground up looking at callbacks and solving "callback hell"
- Discover generators, a way to write seemingly synchronous code
- Discover Reactive Programming (RP) with observables and an old-but-reemerging pattern Communicating Sequential Processes (CSP)
Functional programming is a powerful pattern for organizing code, but it's traditionally steeped in lots of academic terminology and rigor. This can be very intimidating and keeps a lot of developers away. I practice what I call "Functional-Light Programming", which is to try to find simple take-aways from overall FP patterns and apply them to my normal programming. This approach de-emphasizes terminology and formality and instead focuses on patterns we can learn to instinctually recognize and the tools we can use to address them. Specifically, we'll look at the basics of closure, pure (side-effect free) functions, immutable (unchangeable) data, and list-processing tools like map, reduce, and filter.
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
If you've heard terms like Functional (map/reduce/filter), Immutable, Generators, Reactive Functional, Observables but aren't 100% sure how to use them or how they apply to youthis workshop is for you!
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
November 5, 2015 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Standard Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN