RSVP to Attend Online
Join in Person
You're Registered to Attend Online!
This Workshop's Online Chatroom is Currently Open!
This workshop has ended. Check back soon for the recording!
You can watch a replay of this workshop!
Engineering Management 101
Learn the skills and knowledge needed to transition and succeed in an engineering management role.
By participating along with us in the workshop, you'll learn:
- Learn the role and responsibilities of a software engineering manager
- Understand the transition from individual contributor to manager
- Explore the motivations and challenges of people leadership
- Discover strategies for moving into a management role
- Learn tips and tricks to prepare for interviews
- Navigate the initial phase of being a new manager
Spend A Full Day Immersed in Engineering Management with Jem Young
This course is an introductory guide to engineering management. It covers the responsibilities of a manager, understanding your motivations for management, the process of moving into management, and the initial phase of being a new manager. The aim is to equip aspiring managers with the necessary skills and understanding to succeed in their new roles with an emphasis on practical tips and advice.
We've already held over 300 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 9:45AMWhy "practical" engineering management
- 10:00AMWhat do managers do?
- 10:30AMWhat is software engineering?
- 11:00AMUnderstanding the business
- 11:30AMSo you want to be a manager
- 1:00PMLearning how to be manager
- 2:00PMInterviewing for the role
- 3:30PMYour first 30 days
- 4:00PMMistakes to avoid
- 4:30PMManaging up
- 4:45PMWrap up
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
The primary audience for this course should be software engineers who either aspire to transition into management roles or want to learn more about engineering management. It is also for new managers seeking to enhance their understanding and skills in their role.
- At least 3 years of software engineering experience
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
November 9, 2023 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Standard Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN