This workshop has already been published as a course!
Design for Developers
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Learn how to create dynamic layouts from the ground up, from understanding principles of composition to how to implement them in the browser.
- Understand why so many people love web typography, as well as simple rules you can follow.
- Learn the basics of color theory and resources that can help speed up your understanding.
- Learn the basics of how to work with image editing software like Sketch and Adobe Photoshop and when to reach for each.
- Learn about how the browser sees things, and how this helps create dynamic and beautiful interfaces.
- Find out how to prototype quickly, and how to communicate your ideas to others so that you can get up-and-running on a team.
- Learn how to work with motion on the web as well as how it impacts perceived performance.
- Understand what people mean when they talk about user flows and user experience, and how you can leverage this way of thinking to make the best sites possible.
Your (Awesome) Instructor
Apply Design Fundamentals to Your Everyday Front-end Development!
Sometimes it seems like designing is an unlearnable skill, or that if you’re a developer, you might not be able to learn it because it’s a different discipline. Luckily, designing has rules just like development does — rules that can be understood both in theory and in practice! In this workshop, learn to how to become self-sufficient for the entire process of execution from concept to design to implementation. This workshop is also ideal for those that want to be a better collaborator to their design counterparts, and better able to execute the creation of complex and beautiful Frontend experiences.
We've already held over 150 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 10:00AMColor Theory
- 10:30AMDifferent Color Modes
- 11:00AMRules of Composition
- 11:30AMHow to execute dynamic compositions with CSS
- 1:00PMBasics of Web Typography
- 2:00PMGraphics Editors
- 2:30PMShortcuts with Graphic Editors
- 3:00PMHow to stay inspired by others and not rip them off in the process
- 3:30PMImages and Performance
- 4:00PMHow to prototype and communicate design concepts quickly
- 4:30PMMotion and Perceived Performance
- 5:00PMWhat the Browser Sees So You Can Manipulate It
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
Any developer who would like to be able to take a concept from design to execution. This class condenses and demystifies a lot of the rules of design as well as styles and implementation so that students are empowered to make their own interfaces the way they imagine.
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
November 28, 2018 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central US Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN