This workshop has already been published as a course!
Data Visualization First Steps
By participating along with us in the workshop, you'll learn:
- Learn key data viz concepts like features, channels, aggregation, and faceting
- Rapidly build custom charts with the open-source JS library Observable Plot
- Develop interactive visualizations you can embed anywhere
- Answer questions with data to inform your work as a developer
- Get comfortable with data viz basics before tackling more complex libraries like D3.js
Your (Awesome) Instructor
A Hands-On Introduction to Data Visualization for Developers
Data Visualization, aka "dataviz", is much more than drawing some pretty charts; it's a process of discovering & communicating insights derived from data. As web developers, we are luckily swimming in data about the apps we build, the users who interact with them, and the development workflows we use to build them. We may be used to looking at certain visualizations of that data - e.g. a simple line graph or bar chart presented by our analytics platform - but many developers don't realize that with very little time & effort, we can build our own visualizations to dig deeper and answer the specific questions that really matter to us and our work.
We've already held over 300 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 9:30AMIntroduction: What is dataviz & how does it help developers?
- 10:00AMProject 1: Are integration tests passing? (Skill: Features & encoding channels)
- 11:00AMProject 2: What devices are users browsing with? (Skill: Aggregation & faceting)
- 1:00PMProject 3: How fast are API responses? (Skill: Interactivity & user inputs)
- 2:00PMTakeaways & next steps
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
- No prior experience with data visualization required - we're taking our first steps, after all!
- No development setup required! All you need is a browser, as we'll do all our work in Observable (signing up for a free account at observablehq.com is optional, but not required).
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
April 19, 2022 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central Daylight Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN