This workshop has already been published as a course!
Dynamic CSS with Custom Properties
By participating along with us in the workshop, you'll learn:
- How custom CSS properties work and how to use them today
- Improve maintainability of your CSS with custom properties
- Use cases for updating custom properties dynamically
- Create an API for your CSS and separate theming and structure
- Make CSS reactive by combining custom properties and JS
- Animate with custom properties and learn debugging tips
Your (Awesome) Instructor
Spend A Full Day Immersed in Advanced CSS with Lea Verou
We've already held over 300 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 10:30AMScope, Inheritance, custom property registration
- 11:00AMFallbacks, Default values, Invalid values. Invalid At Computed Value Time (IAVCT) vs Invalid at parse time
- 1:30PMApplications in color manipulation and Responsive Design
- 2:30PMSyntax tokens, Data types and conversions, range mapping
- 4:00PMTransitions & Animations
Interact with the Instructor
Is This Workshop for Me?
This workshop is for everyone who writes CSS, or JS that interacts with CSS. This includes front-end designers, front-end and full stack developers. It will be especially useful for anyone who writes code that is used by other developers. Please note that this is an advanced course and not an introduction.
- A solid understanding of CSS
- Familiarity with CSS Custom Properties is helpful, but not required
- Some basic familiarity with JS (mainly events and basic DOM) for the last section
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
September 29, 2021 - 10:30am to 6:00pm British Summer Time
Attend online on our full HD live stream