By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Learn how to explore and question a dataset, and arrive at interesting themes to build a data story around.
- Learn about different chart types, and which charts lend well to exploring what kinds of data.
- Learn about basic information visualization design principles that are core to creating custom visualizations.
- Learn how to systematically turn designs into code, including how SVG paths work, and how to take advantage of different D3 shapes and layouts for your own designs.
- Learn how to communicate key points of visualization to your readers with the use of titles, descriptions, legends, axes, and annotations.
- Learn the difference between expository visualizations and exploratory visualizations (which are not), and gain tips on what to watch out for when creating exploratory visualizations.