This workshop has already been published as a course!
By coding along with us in the Workshop, you'll:
- Build a Single Page Application in Elm because you'll learn about the Navigation module and how to structure a SPA in Elm.
- Set up authentication on your Elm application, after learning about and using authentication approaches such as JSON Web Tokens (JWT).
- Make an informed decision on how to style your Elm application because you'll learn the tradeoffs between stylesheets, css-in-Elm, and more.
- Organize and scale your Elm applications after learning techniques from someone who has taken an Elm code base from zero lines of code to over 250,000!
- Decode complex JSON structures directly into Elm data structures, after learning about recursive data and lazy decoders.
- Resolve performance bottlenecks in your Elm applications because you'll learn practical performance optimization techniques.
Your (Awesome) Instructor
Take your Elm abilities to the next level!
We've already held over 150 workshops with thousands of attendees in-person and online. In this time we've discovered ways to schedule the day, so it goes smoothly and efficiently. Regardless if you're in-person or participating with us online you'll have the full ability to replay things you missed, get your questions answered LIVE and interact with the teacher throughout the day.
- 10:30AMSingle Page Applications
- 11:30AMAdvanced JSON Decoding
- 4:30PMPerformance Optimization
Interact with the Instructor - Online & In-Person
Is This Workshop for Me?
This workshop is for programmers who have at least one Elm project they've been working on for at least a month.
- The course assumes you are already know how to build an interactive Web application in Elm. You should already be familiar with the concepts of model, view, update, commands, subscriptions, and union types.
- The course assumes you're already comfortable using Json.Decode and Json.Decode.Pipeline to work with simple JSON structures. The course will build on this to cover advanced techniques such as recursive decoding.
- A basic familiarity with CSS is required for the section on styling.
- Having built single-page applications in other languages will be useful, since then concepts like routing and URL management would not be new.
One Full Day Workshop Session
Replay Videos (available immediately)
August 16, 2018 - 9:30am to 5:30pm Central US Time
Option 1: Attend online on our full HD live stream
Option 2: Attend in-person at HQ in Minneapolis, MN